Summer is here, and with it comes scorching heat and humidity. Your air conditioner is essential in keeping your home cool and comfortable during this time of year. But if you don’t schedule AC maintenance in Salisbury, it can lead to costly repairs or having to replace the unit entirely. Here are eight proven tips for maintaining your air conditioner this summer to ensure that doesn’t happen:
- Change or Clean the Air Filter Regularly: A common cause of AC malfunctions is a dirty air filter. To keep the unit running efficiently, change the filter at least every 1-3 months or clean it as needed.
- Clean the Outdoor Unit: Your outdoor unit needs to be cleaned every year to keep it in good condition. Clear away any leaves, grass clippings, or other accumulated debris around the unit, and use a garden hose to remove any dirt build-up on the grille.
- Check for Refrigerant Leaks: If your air conditioner isn’t cooling as much as it used to, it could be a sign of a refrigerant leak. Check for any visible signs of leaking and call a professional if you find any.
- Schedule Regular Tune-Ups: To keep your AC running at its best, it’s important to schedule regular tune-ups with an HVAC technician in the spring before the summer heat hits. This will help identify any potential issues with the unit before they become bigger problems.
- Check for Vents and Registers: Over time, furniture or rugs can block your air ducts, preventing cool air from circulating throughout your home. Make sure all vents and registers are open and unobstructed.
- Keep Electronics Away From Your Unit: Electronics, such as TVs and computers, generate heat and can cause your AC to work harder. Keep these items at least a few feet away from the unit to ensure it runs efficiently.
- Check for Proper Drainage: Moisture accumulates in the condensate pan as your AC runs. To ensure proper drainage of this water, check that the drain line is clear of debris and not clogged.
- Schedule Preventive Maintenance: To avoid any unexpected problems with your AC unit, it’s best to schedule regular preventive maintenance. An HVAC technician can inspect all system parts and ensure everything is running properly.
By properly maintaining your air conditioner now, you can save yourself from costly repairs and breakdowns later. So don’t let the heat get to you—follow these tips and stay cool this summer! If you find yourself still having trouble with your AC, don’t hesitate to contact an HVAC specialist.